The Government Affair: New Educational Leadership Series from the River Heights Chamber of Commerce
Inver Grove Heights/South Saint Paul – One of the River Heights Chamber’s goals this year was set to educate and Invigorate member involvement in advocacy with social media or an event. Historically, the River Heights Chamber of Commerce has led the Dakota County Leadership Academy to build community leaders within the local Chamber of Commerce membership, however, the area Chambers have not revived the leadership program since the economic downturn more than 5 years ago, leaving a gap in leadership training through the Chamber. Staff combined the goals of the Board of Directors with the desire to offer members a training opportunity to become more engaged in the community, in their business and in the Chamber.
The following course was developed with Connolly Kuhl Group in partnership with the Minnesota Retailers Association and approved by the Chamber’s Board of Directors for the Fall of 2017.
“Whether it be at the municipal, state, or federal level, advocacy is a crucial part of influencing how decisions are made. We consistently see businesses wanting to advocate on behalf of issues that will directly affect them, but do not know how to effectively do so. The Government Affair is a great opportunity for companies big and small to not only expand their knowledge of civic affairs, but learn how to actively engage with elected officials to benefit their organization and the business community,” stated Carl Kuhl, Connolly Kuhl Group.
What’s in Store for You…
It’s no secret… This four-part educational series from the River Heights Chamber of Commerce will commence this September and is perfect for anyone who wants to expand their knowledge of civic affairs. Whether your experience with government is limited to voting for elected officials or you lobby your representatives on a weekly basis, this program will walk you through a comprehensive, non-partisan, grassroots experience at the local, state and federal level. This program will challenge participants to stretch their knowledge on all levels of government while learning from and networking with other business people and influential leaders.
Jennifer Gale, President of the River Heights Chamber noted, “The Government Affair will challenge and motivate course graduates to make a difference in their organization and community by learning about the grassroots process that keep our local communities a good place to do business in.” “Understanding how the process works is critical to influencing decisions being made every day impacting you and your customers. The Government Affair turns observers into power players,” added Bruce Nustad, President, Minnesota Retailers Association.
How Can I Benefit?
- Individual Benefits: Develop a great network of individuals who play an active role in the business community; become a more effective and influential leader at work by understanding the process of civic affairs, and learn transferable tools for your professional tool box.
- Employer Benefits: Gain company exposure, and develop a strong employee who understands civic affairs and increases their leadership talent within the organization.
- Community Benefits: Support active participation in the community, and further engage the local talent in grassroots initiatives on all levels of government.
This four-part series will meet from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on the third Tuesday of the month from September to December at a location relevant to the topic. Each class will follow with an optional afterglow at a local establishment.
- September 19, 2017 – Learn about the local commissions, city council process, development reviews and the role local government plays in sustaining a successful business community. Hear from city staff, elected officials and economic development professionals.
- October 17, 2017 – Learn about the state legislature, lobbying, passing bills out of committees, how to participate in a grassroots campaign and who the players are. Hear from elected officials, capitol staff and professional lobbyists.
- November 21, 2017 – Learn about federal government issues that affect Minnesota businesses. Get an inside perspective into Washington D.C. and how legislation impacts our local companies. Hear from Fortune 100 government affairs professionals, congressional official/staff and a federal agency official.
- December 19, 2017 – Learn how to influence democracy. Participants will learn how to effectively participate in a grassroots campaign for your company. Graduation Ceremony to follow – guests are welcome.
Series Investment: $199
The investment fee covers all course materials and graduation ceremony. Series sponsorships are available. Contact the River Heights Chamber of Commerce at 651.451.2266 or apply online at www.riverheights.com/thegovernmentaffair.
About River Heights Chamber of Commerce
The River Heights Chamber of Commerce is a business organization who aggressively promotes the interests of the business communities of Inver Grove Heights and South St. Paul. The organization is volunteer driven and strives to attract and retain businesses to keep the business community thriving. The River Heights Chamber continues to provide value-added opportunities for all members. Visit our website www.riverheights.com to learn more!
Stay Connected with the River Heights Chamber on our social media sites!Tags: Advocacy Educational Series, Civic Affairs, Connolly Kuhl Group, Federal Government, Grassroots Campaign, Local Government, Minnesota Government, Minnesota Retailers Association, River Heights Chamber of Commerce, The Government Affair